Friday, November 24, 2006

Ephemera - M.O.F. Office

These are genuine letters received by M.O.F. Office in Edinburgh, which deals with public welfare.

1. I am glad to state that my husband died yesterday. I will be glad if you will get a pension. If you don't hurry up I will have to get public resistance.

2. I cannot get eternity benefit in spite of the fact that I saw the insistence officer. I have 8 children. What can I do about it.

3. I have nothing coming into the house but two sons on the dole. I am visited regularly by clergy. Will you write the penshuns minister for me as I don't know what Church he is in charge of. I can do with a pension as I have no clothes for a year.

4. I am enclosing my marriage certificate with three children. One of them is a mistake as you will see when you look into it. I am writing to say my youngest child is born two years old. Why am I not getting allowance for it.

5. I enclose the certificate with six children. Of them is a twin and died. You asked if he is christened. Yes. He was baptises on a half sheet of paper by a certain captain in the Salvation Army.

6. The man I live with won't work. As he wants to know if my husband is dead. Will you search the records office for him and let me know.

7. I should have more pension since my son is in charge of a spitoon. get a seperate money when he listened. You want to know what part he was wounded in. If it's all the same to you he was wounded in the Dardy Nells.

8. I am writing you truly, yes. I was confirmed with a boy weighing ten pounds. Let me know if this is what you want because I have fallen in error with the landlord and need it badly to pay the rent.

9. In accordance with your instructions, I have given birth to twins in the enclosed envelope.

10. I want money badly as quick as you can send it. I have been in bed with the doctor for a week and he doesn't seem to be doing any good. If things don't improve, I will have to get another doctor.

11. Milk is needed for the baby. Father is unable to supply it.

12. Re your dental enquiry. The teeth at the top are all right but the ones in my bottom are hurting terribly.

13. Please send me a form for a supply of milk for having babies at reduced rates.

14. Please send me a form for cheap milk. I have a baby 2 months old and did not know anything about it until a neighbour told me.

15. Please send me proper form for milk as I am stagnant.